We know that running the legendary London Marathon can be quite daunting and there’s a lot of preparation to do so we’ve compiled some helpful tips from our Team Vision alumni to give you a head start.
Two of our 2021 Team Vision runners, Matt and Oli, have shared their top tips to get off the marathon starting line in your best shape:
1. Train well but try not to overdo it to avoid injury. Do not panic about whether you’ve done enough training as it will all come together on the day!
2. Listen to the advice and support that is available from Vision Foundation and other members of Team Vision as these tricks of the trade make all the difference.
3. Don’t get carried away with the exciting atmosphere and set off too quickly, you may affect your pacing and struggle later in the marathon.
4. Fuel your body! Be sure to eat and drink plenty throughout the day. Lots of sweets and energy pouches will get you through the toughest patches.
5. Enjoy the day and take in the experience!
Optimising your marathon training is so important in preparing for a successful run. When you run for us, we support you throughout the process; from training sessions to peer support, we’re with you every step of the way.
How did they celebrate?
With cold beers in hand and a delicious victory meal, both Matt and Oli celebrated with the rest of Team Vision and their friends and family. Matt’s medal is hanging up in his garden office so that he is reminded of his achievement every day, whilst Oliver’s medal is proudly hanging up in his living room.
“That last mile coming up to the finish line was the hardest thing that I have done physically but the best feeling at the same time”.
“I couldn’t believe the whole route was so busy and I couldn’t even hear my music. Seeing the Vision Foundation team at various points throughout really gave me a big lift and a bit of added motivation to keep pushing through the pain!”
It’s your turn
However you decide to tackle your marathon training, the most important thing is to have fun whilst doing it! If you think you could take on the 2022 London Marathon, then get in touch with Silvia on SEkzarkova@visionfoundation.org.uk or call our office on 020 7620 4994.